All Articles, Featured, Health & Wellness, Women's Health

4 cheap & easy skin treatments you can eat

4 cheap & easy skin treatments you can eat

I recall reading that if you can’t eat it you shouldn’t put it on your skin. “Ridiculous and unrealistic,” I thought to myself, then I was struck by a simple reality. When you eat or drink something, your liver gets a crack at filtering out some of the harmful toxins. When you place something on your skin it is readily absorbed right into your bloodstream

How unfortunate then that the thousands and thousands of toxic ingredients used in many personal care items do not require approval from the FDA before they hit the store shelves. Yes, manufacturers may use any ingredient or raw material, except for color additives and a few prohibited substances, in a product without any formal review or approval.

And when I say a few, I mean a few. As of 2008 under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act the FDA saw fit to ban 10 ingredients. Ten! Compare that to the 1,100 ingredients banned in cosmetics by the European Union.

In one analysis, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that only 28 common cosmetics and toiletries out of 7,500 had all their ingredients fully tested for safety.

Hmmm. Suddenly that “If you can’t eat it you shouldn’t put it on your skin” mantra makes a lot more sense to me. So I set out to find some effective and natural ingredients to use on my skin that I would also feel comfortable eating.

Here are my recipes for cheap, effective and completely edible:

• Skin Cleanser
  • Moisturizer
  • Facial Peel and a
  • Super-Nutrient Face Mask to get your skin cells giddy with excitement.

All but the super-nutrient face mask have just two ingredients or less.

I wouldn’t want to eat them for a meal mind you, but I feel really good knowing I could. Try them and let me know what you think.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next>

[10 Comments]  [10 Comments]

Comments

10 Responses to “4 cheap & easy skin treatments you can eat”
  1. Mary says:

Oh – easy and I have most of this in the house right now. Excellent – thanks!

2. Jenny says:

I love these tips!!! And, I also, have it all right here in my house already! Thank you for this post! I am off to go cleanse my face with baking soda right now!

• Jenny says:

I just have to say that I used the baking soda on my face last night before bed and, wow, you were right, Jo! My face felt so clean and soft. Definitely a new part of my nighttime routine! Now I just need to get that coconut oil. I actually have some organic olive oil that was sold as a face and skin moisturizer. I did use that and it felt wonderful. What would be the difference between using coconut oil and olive oil, I wonder?

3. Angie says:

I loved the baking soda idea! It works great, thanks! I have been searching for just the right moisturizer and not wanting to put chemicals in my face. I am setting out to purchase some organic virgin coconut oil now. Thanks for the info!

4. Karen says:

Would you need to be cautious of using baking soda as a cleanser if you are on a sodium restricted diet? Is it possible for some of the sodium to be absorbed into the bloodstream?

• Hi Karen,

Dr. H was just reviewing a study where participants ingested baking soda 2x a day with no change in blood pressure. He says transdermal absorption would be a fraction and not worth mentioning really. And since you’re using it as a momentary cleanser, then rinsing your face I can’t imagine you’d have any issues at all. Check with your doctor if you’re still feeling uneasy. Good luck!

5. Carol says:

I love these tips! It will ve alot easier on my budget to buy some baking soda as opposed to Burt’s Bees facial cleanser (which I do like) at $7.99 a crack!

6. Betty Wood says:

Thanks for the tips!

7. Rufus says:

Since we’re snowed in, WE will have a beauty day. mask will have to wait — no cocoa powder.

8. Daina says:

Thanks so much! I have been actively searching for the info in this post! A friend had just recently recommended the coconut oil, I just hadn’t made it to buy any yet. One question of major importance to me. I have rosacea, and my forehead especially is very dry and the skin flakes off continually, and it itches. The sites I’ve seen about rosacea say to avoid exfoliation as it increases irritation and inflammation, but this itchy, flaky dry skin is miserable! Can you please tell me if any of your regimen should be avoided in my case? Thanks in advance for your help :)

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

Healthy Alter Ego : The Health & Wellness Source You've Been Searching For
The information offered from Healthy Alter Ego and its contributors is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for personal, professional or medical advice of any kind. You are advised to discuss your specific health and medical conditions with your doctor or qualified health practitioner. Common sense is a good idea too. Contributors that are kind enough to submit information do not necessarily endorse other content, sources or the opinions of other contributors.